We have 706 MCEA members that have achieved National Board Certification through the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). And the best news? A far higher percentage of MCEA members pursuing National Board Certification actually achieve it, compared to the national average. Why? We have one of the most comprehensive National Board support program, which is coordinated by MCEA’s Center For Teacher Leadership. Our focus is to prepare and build the capacity of National Board Certified Teachers to be school leaders and teacher leaders.
2017-18 Information Coming Soon!
Certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is recognition of high levels of knowledge and skills, the ability for self-reflection and continuous improvement, and the ability to use a variety of teaching strategies to meet the needs of a diverse student population. MCEA and MCPS agree that quality teaching is a complex job that requires knowledge, skill, preparation, and commitment. It is in the interest of MCPS and MCEA to support members in the certification process.
Interested in learning about National Board certification?
National Board Certification is the most respected professional certification available in education and provides numerous benefits to teachers, students and schools. The certification was designed to develop, retain, and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide.
- This animated infographic gives an overview of the benefits of National Board Certification and the Five Core Propositions from the perspective of a Board-certified teacher.
- Hear from of our own NBCTs, Sunila Varghese-Saunders, on National Board certification.
- Watch this YouTube clip from NBCTs across the nation as they share their experiences with Board certification.
- Questions? Visit this website or call 1-800-22TEACH for more information regarding National Board certification.
- Recruitment sessions are typically held in March and April. Look out for e-mails from MCEA and check updates on this website.
How do I pay for National Board Certification?
- State/local scholarships may be available to cover costs to pursue certification. Information is provided at recruitment sessions, typically held in March and April. Look out for e-mails from MCEA and check updates on this website.
- See Article 14 of the MCEA/MCBOE Contract Agreement (2015-2017): “Permit use of tuition reimbursement funds to pay the cost of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards components, renewal fees, and successful retakes of National Board unit exams, provided the total cost for this and credit reimbursements does not exceed the maximum available per individual.”
Montgomery County National Board Network
National Board Certification is not just a personal and professional achievement; it can be the beginning of new leadership opportunities within public education. MCPS, MCEA, and the Center for Teacher Leadership have helped to organize a National Board Network for NBPTS Certified Teachers. The Network supports candidates and they advise – and represent – MCEA on a range of instructional initiatives within MCPS. MCEA and MCPS recognize the significant leadership that teachers provide in the improvement of instructional practice and school quality.
Resources for candidates:
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards website for candidates: http://www.boardcertifiedteachers.org
- Click here for certificate-specific instructions, standards, and resources for candidates who began as a first-time candidate in the 2014-15 candidate cycle or later.
- Contact National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) with specific questions about certification and registration: 1-800-22-TEACH, or see their website. You can receive your National Board ID number from them.
- Deciding on a certification area? Read “Choosing the Right Certificate” to help you select the best certification area.
- Register for the National Board Components you plan to take this year directly with National Board. Important: If you are receiving a scholarship from the state, when you register for the process through NBPTS, make sure you check “third party payer.” DO NOT mark private because the state will not be able to pay.
- Please review the Guide to National Board Certification for key 2016-17 dates and deadlines.
- Candidates completing Component 4 this year: Component 4 is in pilot stage. It is expected to be released for all certificate areas in the fall of 2016. Not all certificate areas are available at this time, but you can still view pilot tests here. You will need to reprint instructions when they are officially released.
- Subscribe to The Standard, the official blog of National Board, and read about current teaching practices, leadership experiences, and thoughts of NBCTs from across different parts of the country.
- Sign up for Accomplished Teacher® by SmartBrief, which provides a daily snapshot of the teaching community with news from Education Week, Teacher Magazine and other leading sources.
- Access NBPTS resource page for certificate-specific standards, overviews of the certification components available, and important policy and procedure documents.
- The Five Core Propositions represent what all accomplished teachers share in their expertise and dedication to advance student achievement.
- See Article 14 of the MCEA/MCBOE Contract Agreement (2015-2017) on support for National Board Certification.
Renewal information for NBCTs
- Renewal process requires NBCTs to submit a Profile of Professional Growth and demonstrate how practices continue to align with the Five Core Propositions. Profile of Professional Growth is a single submission composed of three interrelated components and a reflection. Visit NBPTS website on the renewal process and read Renewal at a Glance for general information.
- Not sure when you should renew? Read the Renewal Calendar to identify your first renewal application window.
- Questions about information on eligibility, application, and fees? Read why renewal matters.
- Seeking information on Maintenance of Certification? This NBPTS site explains the process and rollout on Maintenance of Certification.
Signing into your account with NBPTS
- Candidates who began the process in 2014-2015 or beyond, as well as those interested in becoming a candidate, click here to access or create an account. Please review the Guide to National Board Certification for key 2016-17 dates and deadlines.
- If you are an NBCT or a candidate who began the certification process in or prior to 2013-14, please log in to My Profile and update your account through My Profile. If you’ve changed schools, moved, switched e-mail addresses or made changes to other important information, it’s time to update your My Profile account, so NBPTS can keep you in the loop with the latest news and important updates. If you have a question about your account, call 1-800-22TEACH.
Contact National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) with specific questions about certification and registration. You can receive your National Board ID number from them. You can reach National Board Customer Support services Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CDT, by calling 1-800-22TEACH. ee their website for more details.