Tips for Parent/Teacher Conferences: Use this handy guide to make the most of conferences with your child’s teachers.
- Education Week – Weekly news on American education issue
- Rethinking Schools: A nonprofit, independent publisher of educational materials. Advocates the reform of elementary and secondary education, with a strong emphasis on issues of equity
- Teaching Tolerance: Founded in 1991 by the Southern Poverty Law Center, Teaching Tolerance is dedicated to reducing prejudice, improving intergroup relations and supporting equitable school experiences for our nation’s children. They provide free educational materials to teachers and other school practitioners in the U.S. and abroad. Web-exclusive offerings include downloadable curricula, other classroom activities and materials for youth and parents/guardians.
- Teaching for Change: Non-profit organization promoting social and economic justice by offering multicultural resources, including books, videos, and posters.
- The National Commission on Teaching and America’s Future (NCTAF) challenges the nation to provide every child in America with 21st century teaching. This organization’s websites details what is needed to impact teacher quality. There are useful parent and community resources and links to check out.
- The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) strives to improve teaching and student learning through a rigorous professional development and certification process.
- FairTest works to end the misuses and flaws of standardized testing and to ensure that evaluation of students, teachers and schools is fair, open, valid and educationally beneficial.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY RESOURCES & LINKS FOR PARENTS
- MCCPTA, the county affiliation that serves as a voice for parents, teachers and students affiliated with the National PTA.
- NAACP Parents Network
- MCEFis a progressive voice to advocate for and supports equitable and effective policies and practices for all children in the Montgomery County Public School (MCPS) system.
- Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services: Children, Youth, and Family Services
- MCEF is a progressive voice to advocate for and supports equitable and effective policies and practices for all children in the Montgomery County Public School (MCPS) system. www.mcef.org