A great deal of innovation, creation and planning for the school year occurs during teachers’ “time off.” MCEA’s Center for Teacher Leadership believes you should get credit and support for this work.
3 CPD credits
Leadership, Innovation and Lesson Design Course
Who should attend?
Classroom teachers who are looking to learn more about effective and innovative lesson planning while readying materials for the coming school year should take this course. This course is designed and facilitated by successful MCPS teachers who understand how to translate the MCPS Curriculum into innovative lesson plans.
Who will benefit?
Meeting the needs of all learners in your classroom is a professional and personal challenge. Planning effectively for these challenges is a skill learned through strong support and modeling. Skillful planners reclaim time in their personal AND professional lives. This creates more valuable team members while improving the work-life balance.
What will I be required to do?
- Attend 3 mandatory face-to-face classes, all held at the MCEA Conference Center (12 Taft Court, Rockville, MD) from 8:30am to 3:30pm. These days will focus on lesson design, differentiation and engagement strategies. Groups will be formed around grade-level and content areas. The agenda for these meetings will include structured, collaborative work time allowing you to research resources, draft lessons and receive feedback on your work. Structures and groupings will be flexible but the time commitment is mandatory.
- Track an additional 24 hours of self-directed planning and support work following the face-to-face meetings. You will track this and provide regular updates to your course facilitators via online resources.
- Schedule a final exit summary and reflection of your work with your facilitator before the first day of school. This may be done as an individual or as a group, and the time for this summary and reflection interview can be included in your 24 hours of self-directed work.
- The course is uses a pass/fail grading system.
- July 18, 19 and August 1(International Baccalaureate focus) Cohort 1
- July 25, 26 and August 1– Cohort 2
Tuition is $200. Course is eligible for 50% tuition reimbursement under the terms of the MCPS Tuition Reimbursement Program. Members of the Montgomery County Education Association receive a 50% discount.